Trash or Treasure
Trash or Treasure
What's in Your Attic?
The Cornelius Historic Preservation Committee (HPC) is excited to announce the return of the Trash or Treasure: What's in Your Attic? event, which will be held on Saturday, September 24, 2016 from 9 AM to 12 PM. While the HPC is primarily interested in the history of Cornelius and the Lake Norman area, historical items relevant to Mecklenburg County or any other area may be brought for evaluation. This FREE event is open to the public and suitable for all ages.
Experts in ceramics, paintings, books, prints, toys, folk art, collectibles, furniture and other categories will examine your items to help uncover the history behind what's in your attic. The experts will also evaluate the item and provide insight on its potential value. While not an appraisal, the expert's evaluation may help you decide whether you want to keep the item or if your trash may become someone else's treasure.
Date: Saturday, September 24, 2016
Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Town Hall Lawn (in case of rain, the event will be in the Community Hall), 21445 Catawba Avenue
What Can You Bring?
- Fine art, including paintings, portraits, drawings, prints and statuary
- Furniture (Only furniture that you can carry)
- Ceramics, including figural pottery, vases, stoneware
- Glassware, including lighting, marbles, etc.
- Historical images including daguerreotypes, tintypes, ambrotypes and early photographs
- Advertising, including posters
- Folk Art, including carvings, paintings, quilts, outsider art, etc.
- Early toys
- Books & manuscripts, including books with engraved plates, atlases, maps and journals, etc.
- Military items, including uniforms, buttons, helmets, relics (exclusions apply*)
- Any item of local historical interest
Items Not Allowed
- *No weapons allowed. No item designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage will be allowed, including but not limited to weapons such as firearms, ammunition, swords, knives and explosives.
- Fine or costume jewelry
- Modern collectible items of any kind
- Collectible cards
- The Town of Cornelius and invited “experts” will not be providing appraisals of items. Any opinions of potential value or significance are informal and may not be used for insurance or charitable donations which will require a certified appraisal.
- The Town of Cornelius nor individuals coordinating the event will be held responsible for damage sustained to objects while on Town property.
- Attendees must carry their own items.
- 2 items/person limit.