Never Forget | 9/11 Monument
Cornelius-Lemley Fire Station #1
19729 South Main Street
This amazing event was held on Sunday, September 11, 2016. Nearly one thousand community members and first responders attended, including firefighters from Cornelius, Huntersville, Charlotte, Denver, Mt. Mourne, Mooresville, and New York. View images from the event by visiting our Facebook page or our online photo gallery.
9/11 Remembrance Ceremony & Vigil - Monday, September 11, 2023
8:30 - 11:30 a.m.
The community is invited to our annual observance, allowing attendees to quietly reflect and remember as members of the Cornelius Fire Department toll a bell and observe moments of silence marking the key moments of that day. The event is free and open to the public, and attendees are welcome to attend for the entire observance or drop in as they are able. First responders and military personnel are encouraged to wear their dress uniforms in attendance..
The event will start with an opening prayer at 8:30 a.m. Bell tolls for the remaining flights and events will be rung with explanations
- 8:46 a.m. - Flight 11 hits the North Tower
- 9:03 a.m. - Flight 175 hits the South Tower
- 9:37 a.m. - Flight 77 hits the Pentagon
- 9:59 a.m. - South Tower collapses
- 10:03 a.m. - Flight 93 crashes in Pennsylvania
- 10:28 a.m. - North Tower collapses
- 11:00 a.m. - Members of the Cornelius-Lemley Fire Rescue Department and the Brotherhood of the Carolina Retirees Association of the Fire Department of New York present a plaque in honor of fallen First Responder Robert Michael Foley, a New York City Firefighter and Vietnam Veteran US Army 82nd Airborne North Carolina.
The ceremony and vigil will be held rain or shine. In the case of inclement weather, the event will be held inside Fire Station #1.