Recycling-Material & Schedule
New 96-Gallon Recycling Containers
The Town of Cornelius is interested in improving its recycling services to our citizens, and understands that some may not have enough recycling capacity with their current blue 64-gallon recycling cart. For those residents who consistently crush or compact aluminum cans, plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, and other recyclable material AND consistently overfill their 64-gallon recycling cart, please contact Town Hall at 704-892-6031 to inquire about switching your current cart for a 96-gallon recycling cart. Please note that there are currently a limited number of these larger carts available, and we encourage you to only contact Town Hall if you meet the stated criteria. Also, the Town appreciates your patience if a delay in the cart delivery occurs as a result of high demand.
- Aerosol cans / residential generated, empty and valves removed.
- Aluminum / used beverage containers that have been rinsed out.
- Cans / tin and steel food and beverage containers that have been rinsed out.
- Food-contaminated boxboard, pizza boxes
- Glass / transparent food and beverage bottles and jars of any color. Due to bees and bugs please rinse out cans.
- Plastic milk jugs, water jugs, detergent bottles and similar items.
- Plastics number one through seven, excluding number six (Styrofoam).
- Rigid plastic tubs, pots, buckets, toys, furniture, barrels, and similar items.
- Soda bottles, dishwashing soap bottles, shampoo bottles and similar items.
*** Recycling weeks are highlighted in green. ***
- Boxboard with wax or plastic coating
- Containers for motor oil, anti-freeze or paint
- Food trays and cups
- Plastic bags
- Loose shredded paper
- Wax-coated OCC containers
Paper Items to Recycle
- All junk mail
- Boxboard / non-corrugated cardboard, such as food and cereal boxes, shoe boxes, and other similar packaging.
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Cardboard (called Old Corrugated Containers or OCC)
- Computer paper (continuous-form perforated white bond or green bar paper)
- Loose leaf fillers
- Magazines and catalogues
- Newspapers and inserts
- Notepad paper (no back)
- Telephone Books
- White and colored ledger and copy paper
Recycling that does not meet the above criteria will be tagged as non-compliant. If the resident makes recycle items conform, it will be collected at the next regularly scheduled pick-up. However, you may not leave your container at the curb until the next pick-up date. To ensure pickup, all recyclable materials must be inside the recycling container. Materials outside the recycling container are not guaranteed to be picked up.