2023 NC Year of the Trail
The NC General Assembly designated 2023 as NC Year of the Trail, an effort led by the Great Trails State Coalition, a broad-based group of diverse organizations, agencies, and supporters advocating for increased state investment in all types of trails statewide: hiking, paddle, mountain biking, equestrian, and paved.
The Year of the Trail celebrates North Carolina’s vast and diverse collection of scenic trails, paths, and greenways, and encourages all of us to recognize our role as champions of these special resources. They are valuable to communities because the benefits they provide can be readily and freely enjoyed by all, whether for hiking, biking, walking, or running, on our own or with kids on our shoulders and dogs trotting ahead. These paths are a place of refuge and recreation. In Cornelius, our trails and greenways contribute to the overall sense of place and the quality of life for our residents and potential visitors.
We plan to celebrate the Year of the Trail with a host of events throughout 2023. You will have opportunities to improve your physical and mental well-being, connect with nature to escape the stress of life, create community though volunteering, or enjoy a fun outing with family and friends – to enjoy, to sustain, and to champion. Come along with us this year as we celebrate Year of the Trail!
Did you know that we have a variety of options for your enjoyment, from earthen trails through wooded areas to paved greenways? Check them all out here!
Cornelius Trail Passport
We are challenging community members to visit all nine greenways and trails associated with our new Cornelius Trail Passport! From March 13-September 30, be on the lookout for green check-in signs, which will each have a QR code. Trails include:
Past Celebratory Events
- January 1 - First Day Outdoors: An invitation for everyone to find a trail to walk, run, hike, bike, paddle or ride.
- January 14 - McDowell Creek Greenway Volunteer Cleanup: Thank you, Elevation Church volunteers!
- January 26-29 - Quest for the Golden Gnome!
- February 9-19 - Make A Date With A Trail
- February 11 - McDowell Creek Greenway Volunteer Cleanup; Thank you, Elevation Church volunteers and members of the community!
- February 17-20 - Quest for the Golden Gnome!
- April 20-24 - Quest for the Golden Gnome!
- May 14 - Mother's Day Pop-Up Program
- June 3-30 - Jungle Explorers