With Spring Break just a few days away, the Cornelius Police Department would like to share the following tips for residents that are planning to travel:
• Make sure your home or apartment is left secure. Check all doors and windows to make sure they are closed and secured. Put interior lights on timers and set them to turn off and on at different times during the day and evening.
• Have a trusted neighbor or friend check on your home or pick up your mail or newspaper. You can also have the United States Postal Service hold your mail.
• Did you know the Cornelius Police Department will also check on your home when you are away? Click Here for the online Security Check Request Form.
• Tell a friend or relative where you are going, a contact number and when you plan to return.
• Plan your route, keep a map, charged cell phone and extra cash on hand in case of an emergency. Always keep an emergency kit in your vehicle.
• Allow yourself plenty of time to travel. Don’t drive when you are tired or have been drinking.
• Remove all valuables from your car and park in a highly visible, lighted area. If you have a GPS, Ipod, laptop, or luggage, remember to remove them from your vehicle or pack them out of site.
• Never leave money, checks, credit cards or car keys in your hotel room or vehicle.
Be aware of your surroundings and remember to be smart and stay safe!