With the potential for ice and snow in the area, the Cornelius Police Department would like to remind everyone of a few tips while driving in winter weather. If travel is absolutely necessary, motorists should use the following precautions:
- Clear windows and mirrors;
- Reduce speed and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles;
- Maintain a safe following distance behind brine application trucks, and plow and spreader trucks;
- Bridges and overpasses accumulate ice first. Approach them with extreme caution and do not apply your brakes while on the bridge;
- If you begin to slide, take your foot off the gas and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide. Do not apply the brakes as that will cause further loss of control of the car;
- Come to a complete stop or yield the right of way when approaching an intersection where traffic lights are out. Treat this scenario as a four-way stop.
Stay safe and warm!