My Property

Many websites are available to assist property owners in finding property information. The information below is provided as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free.

Basic Property Information
Mecklenburg County's Property Ownership and Land Records Information System (POLARIS) provides a wealth of information on properties in Mecklenburg County. Once you enter the site, you can search for a property in a number of ways: by property owner name, property address, parcel ID, etc.

The Mecklenburg County Tax Assessor also provides building dimensions, sketches, permits, assessed value, and other information about properties within Mecklenburg County through Modria. You can even file an online inquiry if you discover any discrepancies in your property data.
Documents of Record
Legal documents concerning your property include (but are not limited to) a deed, recorded plat, neighborhood covenants, conditions, and restrictions, as well as other documents. From a zoning perspective, the recorded plat and deed are two of the most useful documents in determining what can be done on your property and where.

Recorded Plat
Once you locate the property in question in POLARIS, you will notice a field called "Legal Desc.:" under Associated Information on the left side of the page. It may look something like L300 M30-135. In this example, L300 refers to lot 300. M30-135 tells you that this lot (300) may be found in Map Book 30 on Page 135 on the Register of Deeds website.

Also on POLARIS under "Deed Reference(s) and Sales Price" you will find the most recent recorded deed for the subject property. If that is an active hyperlink, you will be taken to the Register of Deeds website where you can view that deed (if the deed reference is not an active hyperlink, you may still locate the deed on the Register of Deeds website using other search options). Reviewing the most recent deed for the property is an important step to insure you are referencing the correct recorded plat for the property.

Setback InformationAll lots will have setback requirements for both primary and accessory structures. The recorded plat is the first place to look for a property's setback requirements. If no setbacks are indicated on the recorded plat, complete a Property Information Request form and we will email you the information. Or you may contact us via email or phone at 704-896-2461 for information.

Accessory structures must be in the rear yard (behind the rear plane of the primary structure) and must be a minimum of 10 feet from the side and rear property lines.

Lakefront Properties: All lakefront properties will have an undisturbed buffer requirement. The buffer is different from neighborhood to neighborhood and sometimes lot to lot. Check the recorded plat first. If the buffer/rear setback is not on the plat, contact us for assistance. NOTE: The rear setback will be the undisturbed buffer OR 25 feet from the rear property line, whichever is greater.

Impervious AreaImpervious area is any surface that water cannot penetrate.  Much of Cornelius is in a protected watershed, which means impervious area restrictions may apply.  To find out if your lot has any impervious area restrictions, please contact the Planning Department.

The first place to look for such restrictions is the recorded plat. See the information above on how to find your recorded plat.

If your plat does not contain any watershed information, it is still possible impervious restrictions may apply. You may complete a Property Information Request form and we will email you the information. Or you may contact us via email or phone at 704-896-2461 for information. Be sure to provide the property address so we may better assist you.

Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions
Neighborhoods often have Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CCRs). CCRs may be more restrictive than what is allowed by Town code. Whichever is more restrictive takes precedence. Enforcement of CCRs is a private matter between the homeowner and the neighborhood association. You may find a copy of your CCRs on the Register of Deeds website.